Domain name registration is quite simple. The registration process is almost the same on different domain name registrars. Hence, once you have registered a domain name to a certain registrar, repeating the process on other registrars will be easy-peasy.
Since Namecheap is the most popular domain name registrar, and the one I have been using for a couple of years now, I’ll be providing instructions on how to sign up for an account and register a domain name under it.
Signing Up for a Namecheap Account
Before you can purchase a domain name, you need to have an account. This will allow you to manage your purchases and renew your domain name easily. Follow this 3-step instruction to create your own Namecheap account.
- Go to com (clicking the name will bring you to the signup page).
- Fill out the “Create An Account” form.
- After clicking on the “Create Account and Continue” button, you will be automatically forwarded to your Dashboard. A welcome email will be sent to your email address, confirming your registration.
Registering a Domain Name
After signing up, you can immediately purchase your first domain name. Included in the steps below are photos to make the process easier.
- On your Dashboard, click on the “Domains” tab. A dropdown menu will appear: click on “Domain Name Search” option.
- Type in the domain name that you want to purchase.
- The results will allow you to know whether your preferred domain name and TLD is still available. There are tons of available options if ever your preferred TLD is unavailable for purchase. An unavailable domain+TLD means that someone else have already purchased the domain name.
- Click the “Add to Cart” button on the domain name that you want.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see two options: View Item and Checkout. Clicking on the “View Item” link will allow you to view the item you added to your cart. The “Checkout” button, on the other hand, will allow you to place and confirm your order immediately.
- Upon clicking the “Checkout” button, you have the option to confirm and place your order or to remove the item on your cart. If ever you change your mind and decide to not go through with the purchase, you can simply click on the “x” mark, as shown in the photo below.
- If you have confirmed your purchase, all you need to do is choose which payment method you want to use to pay for your domain name. after confirming the payment method and providing your account information on your chosen payment gateway, just place your order and you’re done.
Once your payment had gone through, you will receive confirmation/invoice of your purchase. Now, you can check your very own domain on your account.
Things to Remember for the Signup Process
Before you sign up for your Namecheap.com account, be sure to read these reminders first.
- Create a strong password. Do not use terms and numbers that are related to you so that it will not be easy to guess. Take note of the reminder from Namecheap: All new passwords must contain at least 8 characters. We also suggest having at least one capital and one lower-case letter (Aa-Zz), one special symbol (#, &, % etc), and one number (0-9) in your password for the best strength.
- Use a valid email address so that you can confirm your account and receive updates. Make sure that you can access your account. And if possible, use an account that is secured and not used on websites and applications for games and social media. Your domain name is very important for your website. You need to make sure that it is always secured.
- Make sure that you remember the information that you provide when filling out the signup form. You need to use these in order to log back in to your account. It is best to open a wordpad or notepad when signing up to an account so that you can encode your details and save it on a secured place (folder) on your phone or computer.
Signing up on Namecheap.com is fairly simple. Purchasing domain names is also hassle-free. Just make sure that you use a valid email address, remember your password and keep your account secured. Do not share your login information with anyone. Keep your login info secured and always check your email for updates to keep your account safe and be in the know on the latest promos and bargains.
Check our this post to help you choose a name for your website!
Like our FB Page for daily updates!